9. Angel Face (1952)



Leonard Maltin's Rating :
Should be :

IMDB Rating : 7.3

Rotten Tomatoes Rating : 80%

Leonard says in his review : "Slow building but engrossing film noir." He goes on to say : "Preminger's best movie in this vein after Laura; its reputation has steadily increased over the decades."

I'm not so concerned about its reputation. I try not to judge movies based on their rep. I do know that I loved this movie. I think it is one of the best film noir movies ever made.

I was really happy to see that Maltin's latest rating for this movie went up from 2 stars (1983 edition ) to 2 1/2 stars in the latest edition.

Jean Simmons and Robert Mitchum were both really good. I loved Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity and Jane Greer in Out of the Past, but this was my favorite performance by a femme fatale. And the ending! Now that's how noir is supposed to be. Four stars just for the ending alone.


Visitors