143. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)




Leonard Maltin's Rating : 
Should be : 


IMDB Rating : 6.2

Rotten Tomatoes Rating :  77%  (with critics)   54%  (with audience)

Critics Consensus:  Though the plot elements are certainly familiar, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull still delivers the thrills and Harrison Ford's return in the title role is more than welcome.


In his review Leonard says: "After a 19-year hiatus, Indy returns with the same brand of high adventure that marked the original Raiders of the Lost Ark."



I'm a big fan of this series, but this was by far the weakest entry. 

Harrison Ford, was really good, as usual, and it was great to see him back, but the story really let the series down.

In the other movies in the series, there was a sense of wonder. Would Indy find the Holy Grail, the Lost Ark, or would he get trapped in the evil temple. 

Don't get me wrong, I still liked this movie. But I found it far from being a 3 1/2 star movie. The 6.2 IMDB ranking and 54% audience ranking on Rotten Tomatoes are really low for a movie from such a prestigious series.

Last Crusade gets 2 1/2 stars and this one gets 3 1/2, I don't think so.






2 comments:

  1. The fact he gave Last Crusade 2.5, and Crystal Skull 3.5; I don't even know how to process that. Sidenote: that's the Last Crusade consensus up there, not Crystal Skull.

    Also, there's no comment field for me on Waterworld, so I'll hijack this post for that. I happened to watch a lot of Entertainment Tonight when WW came out (don't judge me, it was the lead-in to Jeopardy), and there was a full week of heavy promotion on that show before it came out, including some seriously shameless shilling from Mr. Maltin. I'm guessing his movie guide review was as harsh as he could make it while trying to be consistent with his glowing pre-release statements.

    ReplyDelete

Visitors