101. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)



Leonard Maltin's Rating :
Should be :

IMDB Rating : 7.8

Rotten Tomatoes Rating : 84%

Rotten Tomato Synopsis: "Matthew Broderick charms in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, a light and irrepressibly fun movie about being young and having fun."

Leonard says in his review : "Starts off extremely funny, with on-target jabs at high school life, then wanders through heavy-handed slapstick and moody self-serious ruminations before regaining momentum for a bright finish. Typically uneven John Hughes script, but one of the pop-culture landmarks of its time."


There are so many good things about this movie I'm having a hard time deciding where to start. I'm not really getting Leonard's remark about "heavy-handed slapstick." As far as I'm concened everything works. The music, the parade, Wrigley Field, the car, and Chicago.

For me the ultimate test of a movie being good, is whether or not I want to see it again. I've seen Ferris Bueller at least a half dozen times, but I am looking forward to my next viewing.

Look at the video below. A two and a half star movie? I think not. This is a movie that IMDB people, Rotten Tomatoes people and the critics (except for Leonard) all love. I hope Leonard's mediocre review doesn't keep too many people from seeing this really enjoyable movie.

1 comment:

  1. This should get five stars, as it's a classic! For God's sakes even my parents love this film/ What is wrong with him, does he even like films?

    ReplyDelete

Visitors